Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Fans say Michael W. Smith lives out his message of faith


Last week I was working on a story to advance the Michael W. Smith concert at Summer Grove this Saturday. Several of the radio stations and the promoter were extremely helpful in putting me in touch with some of Smith's biggest fans locally.

After my story had been written and turned in I received this e-mail from Tim Sanderford, of West Monroe. I didn't get to include Sanderford in my story, but I thought his words were touching. Thanks to Mr. Sanderford for sharing this story.

A couple of years ago, a group of friends and I were having a late night meal at a restaurant in Layfayette. We'd put in a busy day traveling from school to school presenting a program to the students about the positive influence they could have on their classmates. I say we, I mainly tagged along, holding a boom microphone for interviews after the programs.

My new friend Craig began to share a story with us. It was 1999, and as a teenager he had just survived one of the worst school shootings in U.S. history. His sister Rachel had been the first one killed that April day, and Craig had seen two of his friends gunned down right beside him in the school library.

Still in shock from this unbelievable tragedy, Craig's family went home and tried their best to comfort each other. He remembers a numbness, not knowing how to deal with what he had just experienced. Then there was a knock at the door. Craig went to the door, hoping it wasn't another news reporter. The family had been inundated with calls and requests for interviews.

He opened the door and a man stuck out his hand. "I'm Michael W. Smith" he said, "And I'm here to help". These days, a lot of people know the name Craig Scott. He is one of the "Rachel's Challenge" speakers who crisscross this country spreading the message that one person can make a positive difference in the lives of many.

But that day in April 1999, he was just a teenager who needed help. Michael W. Smith didn't pick up a phone and call, and give someone a chance to tell him he wasn't needed. He got on a plane and went in person to where he knew the need was. I'll never forget this story. I'm sure Craig has told it a thousand times by now. I don't think he gets tired of it, either.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

One of the few non-ridiculous guys in CCM music. I have great respect for him. But he has done some pretty terrible songs.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home