Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, August 16, 2007

I hear you loud and clear

There are two things that can always be found in my purse - A notebook and a tape recorder. When I'm out with my friends they always ask me one of two questions.
  1. "Can we do an interview? Come on, just for fun!"
  2. "Are you going to put this in the paper?"

I may be a reporter, but I don't go out just to get a story. My friends who work in real estate don't come to the bar in an attempt to sell me a house. I understand there is a little difference because going out is what I write about. But if my friend acts a fool at Stray Cat it's not like I'm going to take a picture and put it in my column. Complete strangers ... maybe!

But nonetheless having my tape recorder and notepad is a must.

So the other day I was interviewing four girls at Jacquelyn's. I'd pulled out my tape recorder to ask some questions when I saw a friend across the room. I excused myself from the table and walked over to say hello. I talked to my friend briefly and returned to the table to continue the interview. I suppose the girls forgot my tape recorder was on the table and the tape was running because when I reviewed the tape I caught them talking about me!

I won't give the juicy details about what they said (mostly to preserve my self worth), but I was shocked to say the least. And so were the girls! After a few minutes of talking about me, one of the girls realizes my recorder is running and she gasps. Her gasp is followed by a loud thud. I'm assuming she showed the recorder to her friends because the thud was followed by whispering.

Lesson to all, you never know who is listening.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

HAHAHA!! So should we be looking for an upcoming story that mentions lunch at Jacquelyn's?

2:06 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Yeah ... I didn't mention this particular situation in the story. But yes, a story was written.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should record that tape to your computer and post an MP3 of it here. That would definitely make for some interesting blog content.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

It's so crazy to think about the stuff that you say about people behind their backs, and then wonder what other people say about you.
It's also crazy to think about if 12 was actually 10.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home