Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Jon Reep returns to Shreveport

For the most part, I'm completely sick of redneck humor.

Bill Engvall's new sitcom is airing on TBS. The Blue Collar Comedy Tour seems to release a new DVD every three months. Larry the Cable Guy is "gitten-r-dun" in movies and comedy tours nationwide. The comedy world is being taken over by flannel cut-off shirts, trucker hats and catch phrases like "Git-R-Dun" and "Here's Your Sign!"

But there's one guy who manages to keep himself separated from the flock of country comedians. I saw Jon Reep perform at the end of last year at the Funny Bone and my side was hurting by the end of the night. Known to most as "The Hemi Guy," Reep talks of life growing up in Hickory, N.C.

I met the comedian following his show at the Funny Bone, along with Real World/Road Rules cast member Theo Von. Reep was down-to-earth and a naturally funny guy off stage. Even though Reep was wearing a trucker hat and a flannel snap shirt, he's not your typical redneck humorist. When he tells his jokes you believe he's speaking from life experience, which makes his routine even better. Reep will return to the Funny Bone on Aug. 23-26 and his show is worth attending.
He posted this video on his Web site from Hickory's community college beauty pageant. He's not in the video, but it's a glowing example of his sense of humor.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

He came to Centenary a couple of times while I was there and I absolutely loved him. Now, my parents love him because they're big fans of Last Comic Standing and he is their current favorite. I keep trying to talk them in to getting out and going to see him. We'll see what happens.

Also, that picture is a lot funnier to me now that I know what I know.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Ha, now that you know what you know? What is that supposed to mean? Sammy, quit trying to call me out! I swear!

I think my parents would like Jon Reep too.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home