Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, July 26, 2007

I've got the blues and I'm wearing them

I attended a networking, wine and cheese mixer last week for young professionals at artspace. As I walked in, I noticed I was the only not-so-professional professional wearing blue jeans. Maybe this should have taught me a lesson, but instead I just thought to myself, "I'm so glad I don't have to wear a pant suit every day."

But the event and cheese were better than I expected. Sure, business cards were flying and I talked about things I'd never really talk about, such as neurosurgery and the fate of the newspaper industry. But I consider these YP events good for some.

If you like talking about work, go. If you are new to the area, you should go too. If you like cheese, don't miss the next event. You can read more about YP events in Friday's Preview.


Also, while at artspace I listened to Buddy Flett play for a bit. Last week, the Shreveport musician's album, "Mississippi Sea," reached No. 2 on XM's Bluesville channel. After playing, Flett passed on one of his CDs to me. The album is nothing like what Flett does with The Bluebirds. It's laid back, warm-hearted and rich with stories about life in the South. Nine of the 12 acoustic blues songs were written or co-written by Flett. The album is available at iTunes and CD Baby.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

Did you eat any Eddie Munster cheese?

Networking...for jobs you can't move up in based on merit alone.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HA! You talked about neurosurgery!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

No Eddie Munster for me. But I did eat some really good cheese that was hot pink. It looked like Play Dough but tasted like heaven.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

See Mindy, you would have loved it. I mean that's pretty close to biology, right?

I talked about neurosurgery with a neurosurgeon. Mostly I just nodded.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is pretty close, although I probably would have just nodded a lot too, unless I could push the conversation towards the blood-brain barrier. Oh, all the TNF-alpha talk could have been a blast. I'm not sure about the hot pink cheese, but I guess I'll have to make the next one.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love cheese.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home