Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Live music back in the Red River District

I've seen the Molly Ringwalds perform here three times in the past year. The first concert was amazing. I thought they were the best cover band I'd ever seen. I knew nearly every word to every song. My friends and I danced until we could hardly breathe. We were completely lost in the music and fun the Molly Ringwalds create. And when the band played U2, they solidified a spot in my heart.

But the next two concerts I considered mediocre. It's always a good show and nothing beats the music, but the band only played at Saddle Ridge/Sidekicks - a night spot that didn't really appeal to me.
Tomorrow night the band will return to the area to play in the Red River District. The concert starts at 9:30 p.m. and admission is $12 or $10 if you dress in '80s clothing. The music will be good, and I think the venue is perfect even though we're experiencing the hottest month so far this year. The Red River District could be such a fun spot. It's perfect for live music and there is a stage that goes unused most weekends.
When the district first opened, there was a huge kickoff celebration and Better Than Ezra performed. The place was packed because the district was new, but I also believe the music helped draw a crowd. Wouldn't it be amazing to see this many people in the Red River District again?
I don't know how Thursday's concert will turn out, but I'm hopeful that a crowd will pack the Red River District and prove it to be a unique spot for live entertainment in our area.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

Better Than Ezra probably killed it. They're washed up.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Everyone likes to say that Better Than Ezra is washed up but they really aren't. The last album, released in 2005, had three hit singles on it. What's washed up about that?

12:39 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Three HIT singles? A hit where? I haven't heard a Better Than Ezra song on the radio since "Good".

1:49 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

"Juicy" and "A Lifetime." I don't know where "Juicy" reached on the charts but I know "A Lifetime" was at No. 11 at one point.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home