Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Monday, August 20, 2007

A swimmingly good time

Weather permitting, my stepmom and I try to spend our Sunday afternoons lounging by the pool. The weather was beautiful yesterday and considering our mild break from the extreme heat, we decided it would be a perfect pool day.

We followed our normal routine: lay out towels, order a frozen beverage, grab a noodle and float. As we drifted around the pool we reached the deep end where five young girls splashed in the water and giggled as they played a favorite swimming pool game from my childhood.

Four of the girls line up on one side of the pool, while a lone gal is "it" and must sit on the opposite side of the pool. A category, such as "soft drinks," is chosen and the girls huddle up and each choose the name of a soft drink. The solo girl on the other side of the pool must guess soft drinks until she guesses one of the drinks. When a correct guess is made they race across the pool and the last one to reach the opposite side is "it."

The category was named -- food -- and the girls huddled to choose their items. The guesser was probably the youngest of the group and "food" is a rather broad category.

Her first guess nearly made me laugh off my noodle.

"Flank steak."

I thought about asking her parents if I could come over for dinner. She continued her guesses. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, butter, cheese, meatloaf, basil, tuna steak and cheese sticks more than four times. Her older sister offered a hint.

"What's Dad's favorite food? He eats it at Tokyo every Friday. You don't go to the grill part. You go to the other side to eat ..."

"Smoothies."

All the girls cracked up, and I couldn't help but miss being a kid.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

Nobody went on cheese sticks? Who ARE these kids?
This post was so funny, Teddy Allen could have written it.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I almost went on cheese sticks. And by "went" I mean went to the clubhouse and ordered some!

Of course, we were swimming at a country club so I guess flank steak, sushi and tuna steaks are answers you should expect from 7 year olds.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I'm surprised she didn't say Ahi Tower when she was guessing smoothies.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Not at the Mansfield Country Club. Cheese sticks ARE the hot item there.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Oh Kate, why did you have to mention the Ahi Tower ... I will be craving that until I can have one!

Sammy, I love cheese sticks too. One summer my brother and I took golf lessons at Southern Trace and after our lesson we would go to the pool. I think one month our bill just for pool food was nearly $1,000. Talk about being in trouble!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Sammy said...

$1000? I wouldn't have been in trouble. I wouldn't be alive.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home