Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The doctor is in


I got home last night and immediately got in bed. Not the "oh, I'll lay down for a few minutes, and in 15, I'll get up and be useful." I'm talking under the covers, in my blue jeans, earrings still on, not comfortable but not going anywhere kind of rest. I was a little grumpy and my throat and head hurt. I hate allergies.

However, I did have enough energy to reach over and hit the power button on my TV remote to find a new episode of "How I Met Your Mother." This show is one of my favorites. Very creative, dry, cynical. I love it. But I was still grumpy.

I enjoyed the show. It was one of the best I've seen, and it all centered around the womanizing character, Barney, played by Neil Patrick Harris. The episode was funny, but I wasn't laughing out loud, probably because of my allergy aches and pains.

The entire episode was about Barney apologizing to all the women he'd wronged over the years in hopes of having a breakthrough or moment of self discovery. This is where it got extremely funny. The final scene opened with the theme song to "Doogie Howser," and there sat Neil Patrick Harris typing in his journal about his day.

Harris was making fun of himself and it was flawless. Most actors who are remembered for a character like Harris is for Doogie, would try to carve out a career and ignore the characters of their past. But, Harris used it for humor and it killed. I laughed until my eyes watered and pulled myself out of bed to have dinner with a friend.

Looks like Neil Patrick Harris is still what the doctor ordered, with or without Doogie.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

"Looks like Neil Patrick Harris is still what the doctor ordered, with or without Doogie."

Another brilliant line you can only learn in college.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Alexandyr Kent said...

Funny stuff, definitely.

But just wait until you get to see NPH satirize himself in "Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay," opening April 25. You might want to keep a barf bag handy.

BTW, Barney and NPH dress the same. Check out the pensive pic on my Louisiana Movies blog: http://louisianamovies.blogspot.com/2008/03/red-carpet-premiere-harold-kumar-escape.html

3:17 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Tech journalism at its finest.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I like the skinny tie more than the Doogie tie. That's almost as good (as in bad) as Dan Turner's flaming toilets tie that he saved to wear to the La. Legislature. Oh, how the tides have changed.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home