Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, March 06, 2008

I can't believe he's driving

I knew this day would come. My stepmom has talked about it for years, "It's hard to believe in 10 years my little boy will be driving."

At that point, it was hard to believe. Today, not so much.

My brother, Taylor, turned 16 today, checked out of school and got his license. I've let Taylor drive my car a couple of times. It's terrifying. Not because he's a bad driver, but he's my little brother. It seems like just a few years ago he was learning to walk, and we were watching Barney tapes. And now it feels unnatural for him to be big enough to drive me around town. Or for him to drive around town on his own.

I think this story will run in the police briefs. You know, just to encourage people to use extreme caution. It could be a rocky couple of weeks on the road. I'm taking a page out of my own book with this one. I totaled my first car, a sweet Acura, on Christmas Day on my neighbor's car parked across the street on the small circular Joe Mae Lane. I was going 25 mph.

Good luck Taylor. Buckle up. That driveway can be tricky!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home