Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Practical romance?

Most women don't find anything romantic about practicality. Especially on Valentine's Day. Don't believe me? Guys, just try giving your lady a car wash, or a clean house and an empty clothes hamper and see how she reacts. Tomorrow women all over the country will expect roses on their desks, chocolates, fancy dinners, candle light, dancing, etc.

In college, my beau was a dream when it came to special occasions. I'd get six dozen roses on our anniversaries, elaborate dinners each birthday and gifts he knew I'd love for Christmas. However, on the days in between he'd rather be at the intramural center and running around with his boys. This was the time I began to appreciate the goodness in day-to-day basic romantic gestures. A car wash, a clean load of laundry, lunch dropped off at the office.

And this is why Angela Manfredi is my Valentine's Day hero. Here's a girl who thinks like me. Her story is documented on You Tube. Angie put a group of bachelors through her Marital Obstacle Course of jar-opening, laundry-folding, car negotiations and building the perfect brownie sundae.

Rather than finding a mate through the typical dinner and drinks scenario, Angie set out to see the practical side to romance.

Check it out and share your thoughts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

That stuff really has nothing to do with romance though, it has more to do with selfless love. The candy and dinners and flowers and stuff is romance, and I believe that romance has probably played a part in the downfall of a lot of marriages. Of course, romance is fun and sweet, you just can't build a relationship on it.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Sammy, good to see your comments have returned to the blog. It seems our blogger problem has corrected itself.

I see what you are saying about romance and I agree. But you have to have more of the practical stuff than the romance to sustain a happy relationship. I think it's about finding a balance between the two.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home