Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Must be 21 and up

A few months ago I learned a few bars and clubs in Bossier City were letting in 18 to 21 year olds. I thought, "What a terrible idea."

No one my age wants to go to a bar where people younger than 21 are allowed to enter. It gives the place a completely different vibe. If I want to go out with my friends, I don't want the underage crowd hanging around asking me to buy them drinks. And that's exactly what happens. I'm not sure how closely the underage crowd is policed, since I refuse to attend these places. But I know a simple arm band or a mark on the hand doesn't keep the younger crowd from getting their hands on alcohol.

I also don't understand how any bar or club makes money by letting in underage patrons. If you can't sell them drinks, are you really bringing in enough revenue on cover charges alone? Plus, imagine all the bar tabs driven away by the underage crowd. Cover charges help, but it doesn't take much business sense to realize the real money is made at the bar.

With that said, the City Council unanimously approved four laws Tuesday to keep the underage crowd from drinking in Bossier City bars and nightclubs.

So, who wants to go to the Rodeo?

Eeehhh .... I still don't know if I'm up for that!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

It depends on what the purpose of the place is. If it's a dance club that will only be able to stay open if 1,000 people walk through the door every weekend, then they can do it and afford to just make money off the door. If it's a music venue, then they need them paying the cover. If it's main priority is the bar, then it's a terrible idea (even if it has music and dancing). In Little Rock, the 18+ or all ages venue staffs will kick your butt out if they see you drinking without an arm band. I think it probably just takes the cops showing up, catching someone, and fining you a couple of times to get it right. That's what happened with one place in Shreveport that will remain nameless.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I agree with what you're saying, Sammy. The two places that I know about in Bossier City are large venues but they don't have live music. They are dance clubs that need alcohol sales to make money.

There's one all ages venue here, I'm sure you know which one, that brings in some pretty good bands. But most people I know won't step through the door, no matter how good the music is, because of those two little words -- all ages.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

The last time I went to the Rodeo (2 + years ago) I had fun... but only b/c it was 50 cent night (drinks, not the rapper).

3:23 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

50 cent Thursdays were awesome. Fridays, however, weren't so hot.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home