Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A crash, smile and good insurance plan

It was just after midnight on Saturday when I pulled into my cozy neighborhood ready to tuck into bed. I hopped out of the car to hear a loud crash that sounded close enough to investigate.

Surely, the noise didn't come from my neighborhood. It's a tiny gated community, a small horseshoe of townhouses. No, impossible. A crash of this magnitude had to have come from the world beyond Snugglins Love (a nickname mistakenly given to my hood by the guy filling out my paperwork at the oil change place).

I walked to the fence to look out on the main street that my neighborhood backs. Nothing there. Thinking the loud noise wasn't my concern ... I went inside, let my dog out and gave in to my curiosity. I wasn't being a nosey neighbor if my dog needed to take a late night walk before going to bed. Right?

So I put my four-legged excuse on his leash and set out to investigate. I'm not a very good detective, but you wouldn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to uncover this mystery. At the end of my street someone had backed their giant white Tahoe SUV into my neighbor's 4-door car. A damaged bumper would have been pleasant; however my neighbor awoke to find her car had been banged in all the way to her back windshield. Her mate's white truck had been swiped too. And, possible the worst of all, the car had been hurled forward into the townhouse's outdoor storage building.

I couldn't imagine. One car in serious need of repair, another destroyed beyond repair and part of the house ready to topple over -- all while they slept comfortably in their bed.

I imagined how frustrated I would be in their situation. That is if all the noise had the ability to wake me at all. But I was surprised at my neighbor's reaction. As I pulled out of Snugglins on my way to work Monday morning, I checked out the crime scene. The couple had placed a note on their car.

"Out of Order -- Mgmt"

I laughed and thought "good for them." To me, having the ability to find humor in such a desperate situation is admirable. I'm sure good insurance helps too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

That sign was to make sure no one tried to steal the car.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

It also may have been there because Monday was supposed to be trash pick up day. They didn't want the garbage guys to be confused.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home