Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Easter Sunday memories


My column tomorrow will discuss some of my favorite Easter memories like egg hunting and being force fed ham. In an attempt to get us geared up for that, I decided to post this picture from many Easters ago.

That's me and half of my brother on the steps of Nana and Mick's house on Easter morning. It was the traditional holiday photo shoot, but apparently Chris was done since he's exiting to the right. It's hard to tell, but our outfits were color coordinating that year. Pale green was the color of choice. For some reason, my mom took it upon herself to dress us like Jack and Jill for the first five years of our lives.

We weren't twins, but you would have thought she wanted us to be.

Anyway, I don't look completely happy in the pic. Even though I clearly LOVED the stuffed bunny the Easter Bunny had given me. And, if you look closely, I got an awesome toy saxophone that year too. The Bunny had been good to me, but I was disgruntled for one reason. That God-forsaken dress.

My poor mother probably had this dress made for this one day and this one picture, but I hated that dress. We would continue this trend for about four more years. Ridiculous dress after ridiculous dress. I believe the following year I was forced into a similar style dress in pale blue. But that dress was worse. Jingles bells were sewn into the layers of the skirt and everywhere I went my dress jingled like a cat collar.

I didn't learn much about Jesus that year. I was too busy hunting the bells and ripping them out of the dress. I didn't get in too much trouble. After all, I grew up in overalls and boots playing in gigantic piles of dirt at construction sites.

My mom should have known better.

18 Comments:

Blogger ASHLEY said...

AWESOME!!! I freaking love it !!! I wonder.. did they have a hard time keeping up with you ? is that why they needed the jingle bells ?? I think it's so cute that y'all were dressed alike.. are you telling me that you don't want me to dress your future niece & nephew dressed alike ??

4:45 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Ha, I didn't think about it. But yeah, I'm sure I was hell in a petticoat! And yes, please dress your children in those outfits. If they take after their father, good luck!

And don't start trying to charm me with the idea of nieces and nephews ... I want a summer vacation next year!

4:53 PM  
Blogger ASHLEY said...

Next year.. don't worry.. i need to finish raising him, before i can raise any of his spawn!!!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

ha! I'm tellin'!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

I now understand why you straighten your hair.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

My grandmother and all the other ladies at church would always tell me that "women would kill for hair like mine. Just look at those curls!"

I never believed a word of it.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Afro Joe: the early years.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Did you register on blogger just to say that to me?

Of course you did! And so the childhood trend of namecalling continues!

If ever there was a post for you to comment on, this was it!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thank god for helen.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

A moment of silence for my first straightener: Helen of Troy.

She's more memorable than my first kiss!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

why, were you drunk for your first kiss?

12:23 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

No, but I was in Sibley.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sibley? Was it on set of Year One?

3:33 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Yes, my first kiss happened just last month. How did you know?

3:41 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I heard things got out of hand on that set and you sort of ratted your self out with the whole Sibley thing. I mean what else happens in sibley except movies being filmed there? Unless you were at hoedown in a barn or something.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Mandy Weaver moved there years and years ago, and I went to visit her.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So it was Adam then? (not 1, or 2, but possibly 3?)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I don't know what your numbering system is about, but no it wasn't adam. Geez. How did that precious, innocent picture turn into this?

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home