Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, June 07, 2007

So you think you can read?

I've been commissioned to read to a group of children at Borders in a little over a week. I've also been commissioned to select a book to read.

Now, reading to a bunch of staring 4 to 7 year olds is somewhat intimidating. And reading upside down so the children can see the pictures requires big words. Plus, to keep the attention of a small group of kids you've got to slap a little cheese on the story by using animated voices and whatnot, which presents another challenge.

I'll survive and I'm sure I'll cheese it up for the kiddies, however I'm not sure what to read. I don't have kids, I don't really know many kids and I'm completely detached from what youngsters are into these days. So, this is where you kind people come in to play. I need suggestions of some quick, easy, kid-approved stories.

Now the only question remaining is who's going to be the O.G. Readmore to save the day?

13 Comments:

Blogger rustybill said...

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

1:01 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

The Velveteen Rabbit! Woot! Or the menu at Thrifty.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Shane Bevel said...

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie is always a favorite or Where The Wild Things Are.

Or the Communist Manifesto. It could go either way. you could also go stealth and read Watership Down. No No! Its just about rabbits..... I swear.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Shane, how long is "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie?"

3:37 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

You could read selections from Where the Sidewalk Ends. They're very good for doing voices and stuff. Shel Silverstein actually has a recording of himself reading it, so you could get some ideas if you can get your hands on some of those recordings.

I also read a book about what color underwear animals have on, and the elephant at the end isn't wearing any. It's pretty funny.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Sammy, do you remember the name of the underwear book? That sounds like a good one that will make the kids laugh!

I also like "The Missing Piece" by Shel Silverstein. It's always been one of my favorites.

10:04 AM  
Blogger EmilyC said...

You can NEVER go wrong with Dr. Seuss. Green Eggs and Ham was my daughter's favorite. The Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, Yertle the Turtle, Fox in Socks... There are a million of 'em.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

BD, I thought about Dr. Seuss just this morning. Of course, sometimes the most obvious answers are the ones we most easily miss! Thanks for the suggestion.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Sammy said...

It's called What Color Is Your Underwear? by Sam Lloyd, but it's a little too childish for anyone over 4 or 5. It's also really short. It has these little flaps you flip up to see what underwear they are wearing.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Heidi Hausmann said...

Sideways Stories From Wayside School! For real, that would be awesome.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really like Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss. It might be a little long though.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Shane Bevel said...

I dunno... its not to long... its a kids book.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i vote for frog and toad!!

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home