Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Mike and the Mechanics may have saved your life

When I'm driving around town, I've usually got one finger on the "next song" arrows on my iPod. I probably shouldn't confess this considering in just over ten years of driving I've had nearly as many wrecks.

Over the years, I've put my three cars through a lot -- striking a parked car, then a deer, falling victim to two hit and runs (one in the church parking lot), being rear ended twice leaving the City of Byrd, rear ending a mini van while trying to get an eyelash out of my eye. You name it and clearly I've done it and should know to keep my hands at 10 and 2. But I don't.

So, back to me fiddling with my iPod. When I'm driving around, listening to music, I'm always searching for the perfect song that fits what I'm feeling at that moment. Sometimes that could be the rush of a really good Red Hot Chili Peppers song, and at other times it's the sorrow of Ryan Adams or Ray LaMontagne. But there is one song that gets my hands back on the wheel, exactly where they should be, every time without fail.

"Living Years," by Mike and the Mechanics. Truthfully, it's a horrible song with no value in the big scope of good music. But, what draws me to this song is the memories it always brings back.

When my brother, Chris, and I were in elementary school, this boy tried to kiss me on the bus and I refused to ride the school bus from then on. So, my dad would take us to school and every morning we would listen to "Living Years." My dad would always take the lead, or I suppose the role of Mike, and Chris and I would have to pick up the part of the Mechanics, singing the background vocals. If we didn't sing, we started the song over.

At the time, it was absolute torture but now I can't NOT listen to the song. And I can't sing anything but the background vocals. Now, nearly 20 years later, I can't escape the memories of that song and as terrible as the song may be, I don't think I want to escape it.

Do you have a song like this? Something that automatically brings your hands back to the steering wheel? Something you can't help but listen to, even if it's really no good at all?

13 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

This is why I don't have an iPod...so that I don't fill it with crap I don't really wanna listen to.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too cute. :)

But, I really think we should put aside our respective musical tastes for a moment to focus on your apparent tendency to run into stuff whenever your vehicle is in even the slightest state of motion.

No, Stephanie, this is not another run-of-the-mill comment from a reader. It is much more important than that. This is a virtual intervention. This is a safe place, okay? We all care about you. Put the iPod down and place both hands on the wheel...

Who ever said women were bad drivers, right? :p

10:03 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Sammy, your comment made me laugh. However, I will say I didn't put "Living Years" on my iPod. My brother thought I would get a kick out if it and put it on there. If you ever come in town again, maybe I'll play this song for you!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Thomas,

Seriously, you could set up cones in The Times parking lot and I wouldn't hit a single one. I'm a good driver, but what can I do about deers flying through the air and those pesky parked cars?

10:18 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

hahaha... Deers? Nice, Steph. My song that is annoying from childhood is "Song of the South." I think it's by Alabama. I still rock out to it.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Ha, thanks Kate, I didn't even notice that. I won't change it now that you've brought it to everyone's attention.

It sort of falls under the same umbrella of "I'd like two Grey Geese ..."

Don't you think?

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan. You bring the cones. I'll bring the coffee. Leave the iPod at home. See you Saturday morning at 7. :)

Do you listen to your iPod through your car stereo? Please tell me you are not driving around with the little white buds in your ears.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

7 a.m.? Yeah, you go ahead and I'll meet you there ... Does anyone really wake up that early on a Saturday? Sometimes I go to bed at 7 a.m. on the weekend, but that's a different story.

And Thomas, rest easy. I have a radio hook-up thingy. No ear buds here.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it an FM transmitter or a cassette adapter?

By the way, I read your Epps story this morning. Did you get to meet James Earl Jones?

11:57 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

It's an FM transmitter.

No I didn't get to meet James Earl Jones. He wasn't there the night I went.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I really think it's Gooses b/c that would be changing the brand name. I think that is a discussion that should be open to debate somewhere... It's all about important issues like that (Iraq, abortion, alcoholic beverage noun pluralization skills, etc.) that really matter.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

It's definitely Grey Gooses.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Grammar and drinking never mix.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home