Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Saying goodbye to my 'Girls'


Last night was an emotional night for me. After seven years, my favorite show ended our Tuesday night relationship.
I've been a devote follower of "Gilmore Girls." I hung in there, through the past two seasons when plot lines and witty conversations got a little dry. I'm sure most of the guys reading this are already air-gagging themselves, but I loved this show.

My love stemmed from obscure pop-culture references and how naturally Lauren Graham fit the character of Lorelai Gilmore. It was well written, thanks to creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, who left the show after its sixth season and took most of the humor and originality with her.

This show made me believe in a lot of things I wouldn't normally take stock in.

First, I could be a small-town girl. Under normal circumstances, I know I'd go crazy living in any town with a "square," unless it is Times Square. But Stars Hollow is different. This small town has charm and not to mention a handsome diner owner.

Second, mother-daughter relationships are easy. The relationship between Lorelai and Rory is worry free. They are best friends, hardly get mad at each other and talk about everything. My stepmom and I are good friends, but when things get rocky she's still got her parent card and is willing to use it.

Third, getting a journalism job right out of college is a breeze. Rory had her choice between the newspaper industry's heavy hitters: Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Washington Post, etc. Yeah right ... and I don't care if she was the editor of the Yale Daily News. It just ain't that easy.

So, it's with a heavy heart I say goodbye to my show and all the unrealistic beliefs that came with it. I guess now I have no choice but to join the rest of the world and watch "Dancing With the Stars."

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, those fabulous Gilmore Girls. They spoke so fast, but they spoke so true. God speed, Lorelai and Rory. I shall toast you with my heartiest wine.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Don't knock Dancing with the Stars. Apolo and Julianne should win that thing.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Kate ... not you too!

OK, I will admit I've watched an episode here and there. But I hate how they drag out those reality shows. Seriously, I don't need an hour show for 2 minutes of information.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find Dancing with the Stars to be mildy pathetic. Do we as nation really find Billy Ray Cyrus doing the Merengue in a top hat and tails for 120 minutes that compelling? I don't.

I mean, how much in the toilet does your career have to be to even get on that show? Who's next? Screech? Scott Baio? Don Imus, anyone? As yet, no one has parlayed an appearance on that show into any sort of comeback. It's our generation's Hollywood Squares. It's where D-list celebrity careers go to die.

I'm with Stephanie, enough with the reality TV already.

Center gets the square, people.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Mr. Thomas,

I started watching it to see if Heather Mills' leg would fly off. Now if that doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat, I don't know what will. I'm not interested in watching any of these people make a comeback, as a former professional dancer, I do enjoy watching people dance. That's why I watch the show. Yes, some of the 'stars' do, in fact, suck. But watching the good ones improve and continue to do well, I find that entertaining... who cares if it's 'reality' tv.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

To clarify for Kate, when she says "professional" dancer she means she was the captain of the Silver Spurs at Southwood High School and not a pole mistress at Action Central.

Sammy, I'm not posting your comment.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Not a pole mistress, that you know of.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I wondered how you could afford all those N'SYNC bobble heads in college. Now I know.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Action Central, huh? I thought Kate's MySpace pic looked familiar...

11:21 AM  
Blogger Greg Pearson said...

Pole mistress? That's a new one for me. And I wasnt "air gagging", but I DID roll my eyes. Gilmore Girls?!?!?

12:46 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Greg,

I made up pole mistress. Pretty catchy huh?

And yes Gilmore Girls! It actually used to be funny.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home