Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, May 10, 2007

People are what make birthdays happy


Yesterday was my birthday. I didn't tell many people, however through the wonders of Myspace and Facebook word got out. I'd been at work for about 30 minutes when my phone rang. I answered with the usual, "The Times, this is Stephanie" and that's when the singing began. I listened as Kate sang through the birthday song in her deepest, most sultry voice. About an hour later, my friend Sass called and did the exact same thing. Are they trying to tell me something?

While no Masters tickets were hidden in any cards this year. My friends did surprise me with some rather interesting gifts:
  • Sammy spent endless hours making me the beautiful artwork displayed above. The little bursts are fireworks. I asked because originally I thought they were spiders.

  • Matt, who lives in Illinois, sent a package that included my second Chuck Klosterman read, "Killing Yourself to Live," a "collector's edition" TV Guide with N'SYNC on the cover and 3 CDs filled with MP3s of about 30 albums.

  • LJ took me shoe shopping. Knowing I'm a shoe addict, she hit the nail on the head with this gift. I got to peruse a room full of shoes, pick out the perfect pair and take them home. I ended up with a black and white stripped pair with a black bow on top. They're a little crazy, however my only real problem is finding a place to put them. My closet is at capacity when it comes to shoes.

  • Dan, a Times friend, took me to lunch and arrived with a slew of surprises -- oversized party hats, bubbles, margarita-shaped sunglasses and pom poms. When the waitress asked what we were celebrating, Dan offered me the greatest gift of the day. He responded, "We're celebrating Wednesday," and I was spared the embarrassing birthday song and "stand in your chair and shake everything but the salt and pepper shakers" dance.

  • Missy, my roommate, gave me a bottle of wine. I know any real wine drinker will cringe at my words, but it's the cutest bottle called "Little Black Dress." You have to admit, that's pretty cute.

  • My parents cooked dinner for me last night and gave me a discount on our summer vacation. Dad's always the practical thinker and gift giver or maybe someone forgot to put the money in the card.

  • My older brother Chris offered me the gift of his love.

As I embark on 26, I want to say thanks to these people for making my birthday special.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

I saw a bottle of Little Black Dress lying around my house somewhere. I have no clue whose it was.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

not mine. Mine sits unopened on the kitchen counter. Maybe it's Baxter's?

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home