Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, May 24, 2007

All Bettes are off


The votes are in. With a record number of 70 million people casting their votes, Bette Midler has been named America's Fallen Idol.
Ok, these statistics actually come from the consensus of the three people I watched the "American Idol" finale with last night, but the facts are the facts. Sanjaya's performance gave Midler a run for the bottom prize, however he had Joe Perry backing him, which offered him some redemption. Plus, we haven't taken Sanjaya seriously since he entered the "Idol" contest.
Midler on the other hand struggled just to keep up with the back-up track to "Wind Beneath My Wings."
Midler is an old pro and after performing "Wind Beneath My Wings" for about a decade too long, she should be able to hit these notes in her sleep. And the saddest part -- I've heard it performed better at high school graduations.

After a few awkward stage moves (a shimmy in her leather skirt and the constant flailing of her left hand), I have a feeling Bette's blood alcohol level could have rivaled the record number of votes cast for the finale show. OK, that may be harsh, but something was going on with her. She couldn't keep up with the music and she couldn't hit a note.

With her show opening soon in Las Vegas, I'm sure the performance on "Idol" was a promotional sort of thing. But I'm sorry to say if that's what a $100 ticket will buy me, I'd rather see the Thunder From Down Under.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I think she might have broken her nose and been on painkillers. Oh wait... thats Paula.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG, I told my friends the same thing about Bette. They claimed that she didn't have to sound perfect because she is an icon. If anything, it makes her more accountable.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Daphne,

You have a good ear. Although you didn't have to be a music expert to know Bette was butchering a song she's performed a zillion times.

The fact that she's an icon means she should be the best. She's an icon for a reason, you know? But apparently becoming an icon requires a bit of your sanity and talent. I mean, just look at the record: Bette Midler, Cher, Michael Jackson -- CRAZY!

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home