Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Up-and-comer Nicole Atkins may have arrived

I was straightening my hair and sipping on some joe this morning when I saw a familiar face pop up in a new American Express commercial. I put my flat iron down and clicked my TiVo into rewind mode to watch the commercial again.

The girl looked just like Nicole Atkins, an up-and-coming singer who performed at Jayne Marie on Cross Lake in September. I couldn't be too sure until her name appeared on screen. It seems Atkins is a pretty fast climber. Anyway, look for the commercial and here's the story that ran a few months ago when Atkins performed here.

Nicole Atkins inspires romance through song

Nicole Atkins has been a woman waiting on a loved one to return home from war. She's been frustrated by long-distance romance and devastated by change. Named one of Rolling Stone's Top 10 Artists to Watch this year, Atkins captures listeners through her stories.

"One day I was watching footage of the war in Iraq on TV. The footage was in black and white so when they fired into the sky it looked like bleeding diamonds. So I started to think about a housewife sitting on her couch, watching the footage, and I sing the song ("Bleeding Diamonds") from her perspective," Atkins said.

"Every song has to have some sort of story or it wouldn't make any sense. Sometimes the story is premeditated or sometimes I'll come up with a line that I have to interpret and figure out what it means."

The Columbia Records artist will perform (Sept. 14) at Jayne Marie on Cross Lake with her band the Sea "” guitarist Dave Hollinghurst, bassist John Flaughter, drummer Dan Mintzer and keyboardist Dan Chen.

"The album is very orchestral, but our live shows are a little more rock 'n' roll. They are very energetic and kind of emotional," Atkins said.

"People also get to slow dance, and a lot of romance has been forged at our shows."

The 26-year-old singer/songwriter's major-label debut, "Neptune City," expected to be released Oct. 30, and her EP already earned her praise from USA Today, Jane, Spin.com and Playback Magazine. However, Atkins feels little pressure from the buzz her EP has created.

"My only expectation is that people will actually get to hear it and like it, and we can tour for a year or two and get to make another one," Atkins said.

"I've already got the next three records written."

10 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

She needs to land an Old Navy commercial. Someone was telling me at The New Frontiers about going to see her even though they had no clue who she was.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Old Navy commercials are lame. They aren't funny or creative or smart ... but they try really hard to be something along those lines. Which only makes them worse.

She's pretty good. I didn't go to her show, but I have the CD and really like it. I mean, don't take my word for it. Rolling Stone really liked her too.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

She looks like Mary Kate.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Why not Ashley?

12:54 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

That Old Navy sweater commercial blew Ingrid Michaelson up.

Also, the last time I took Rolling Stones word for anything was when I was in high school and still thought it was a cool magazine.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Sometimes I try to read Rolling Stone music reviews online, and I can't even understand their sentences. They aren't sentences. It's just a string of ridiculous phrases that tell me absolutely nothing about the music.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Mary Kate is the brunette. Duh.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Did I sense some "Full House" attitude in that remark? If I remember correctly, Stephanie Tanner was the one with all the attitude and clearly I have dibs on that name.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Do you have dibs on the meth addiction like Stephanie Tanner as well?

8:22 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

No, fortunately I skipped the meth addiction. I think that's because I wasn't a child star, although I was one helluva tap dancer.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home