Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Homemade halftime show

When I agreed to watch the game last night at my parents' house, I didn't know I was scheduled to be the halftime entertainment. Oh, but sadly I was.

Sometime, in the midst of a commercial break, my older brother, Chris, and I started talking about our elementary school experience. While some schools may have offered football, cheerleading and other team sports, our little outskirts school offered one extra-curricular activity -- jump rope.

We didn't just Jump Rope for Heart. We jumped rope for everything. Pep rallies. School assemblies. A jump rope routine was as common as saying the pledge. And my membership to the Jumping Jacks remains the reason why I know every word to the Pointer Sisters' "Jump (For My Love)."

Chris and I could once do some pretty awesome tricks. Crossing our arms and jumping through the rope, jumping with the rope under one leg and double jumps. So, naturally, when we started talking about this I chimed in that I could still do it all.

"Oh really! It just so happens I have a jump rope," my step mom said.

I thought, "you've got to be kidding me."

The next thing I know, I'm on the back patio surrounded by five other people and the pressure is on to jump -- for my love and my dignity. I started swinging the rope. Hop. Hop. Hop.

No problem. I crossed my arms and jumped through the rope. Impressive.

I kicked my leg over my left arm and kept on jumping. I still got it.

Everyone laughed, a little surprised that I could still do it. After all, fifth grade wasn't just yesterday. Chris cowered down to my stellar performance, and I shocked myself.

12 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

So, what you're saying is you're qutie limber and agile? Expect more e-mails and phone number requests from dudes.

12:09 PM  
Blogger ASHLEY said...

I must admit, I was impressed... I can't wait til the next time we're out & you pull out the 'ol jump rope.. Next task.. challenge Chris to a "Jump Off" !!!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Oh Sammy, I can always rely on you to read too much in to things! But I did laugh (a lot) when I read your comment.

When you say "expect MORE e-mails and phone number requests," you phrase it that in such a way to where it seems you believe that happens to me often. That's the really funny part.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Thanks Ashley. I told you I don't mess around! Chris couldn't handle my jumps. He knows it. I know it. The whole family knows it!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Oh, I know about your Myspace date requests...and then there's that time Kirby Kelly hit on you (ok, that didn't really happen, but it should have).

2:26 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Ha,ha,ha ... good one.

Myspace doesn't count. Myspace date requests don't count. Most random guys on Myspace are creeps (most, not all).

2:29 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

What I don't understand is why more people aren't commenting on this thing after your billboard campaign.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Leave the billboards out of it. You haven't even seen the billboards. Thank goodness because your jokes would probably never stop. You are saying this based on word of mouth and by the way, it promotes Preview not the blog.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

And here I thought I knew you really well. I never knew a thing about a jump-roping talent!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

They say you learn something new every day. I guess I never mentioned it because I didn't think I could still do it.

I'll have to buy a rope and give you a good laugh.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Chris Holmes said...

Gotta love Jump Rope. It's a great sport and a great way to stay in shape. How long were you on the team?

8:26 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Chris, I think I was on the team for about three years. Since I haven't jump roped since I was a kid, I didn't realize how much work it actually is. I'm may buy a rope for myself.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home