Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Frankly, I'm disappointed


Since the debut of "Frank TV" last Tuesday, Frank Caliendo has proven one thing -- a faux show is about as good as faux fur. It ain't real and it ain't pretty.
Caliendo is the cream of the crop when it comes to impressions, but the jokes on "Frank TV" fall short. His Michael Richards is tops, but the sketch was lame. Another sketch features Caliendo as President Bush talking to his daughter Jenna on her wedding day. Great concept until Bush sends in Dick Cheney to have the father/daughter talk. I'm not all that familiar with Cheney's speech and mannerisms, so when Bush walks out the door so do the funnies.
It was 30 minutes of not-so-funny jokes that most people didn't stick with for the entire 30 minutes. And the show's format is all wrong. Caliendo opens as himself for a show that's about him pretending to be other people. He sits in a living room, invites an audience member on stage and bores the heck out of them.
If anyone wanted this show to thrive it was me. While watching the first episode, I caught myself giving Caliendo pity laughs. I didn't think it was funny, but I laughed to try to make myself think it was funny. Talk about disappointed. Remember this post?
A month or so ago, I was introduced to Frank Caliendo during a commercial break from post-season baseball on TBS. Endless tears of laughter followed the commercial. This guy does the best impressions I've ever seen. DeNiro, Madden, Dr. Phil, Robin Williams, President Bush -- he nails them all. It's not just the voice, but his facial expressions (especially President Bush) are dead on. The show will debut Nov. 20 and I'm counting down the minutes.Every now and then I'll go to You Tube to watch the Frank TV commercials. My reaction is always the same -- tears and uncontrollable laughter.
As much as I hoped this show would be good, it's just not and it saddens me to say so. I really feel sorry for Caliendo. He's the best, but unfortunately his show is the worst.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

Best headline this blog has ever seen...bravo.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

why thank you Sammy.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Greg Pearson said...

The guy's a genius, but the show really stunk up the joint. He has great impersonations but I almost think he sound's better on XM comedy where I cant SEE him.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Oh yeah, there is no question that Frank's got skills. But the show just isn't doing him justice. ESPN has a great clip from a recent appearance by Caliendo on Mike & Mike. It's really funny stuff.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Sammy said...

I'd have to disagree with Greg. His George Bush and Robert De Niro faces are priceless. That's one of the things that makes him so much better than so many others. He studies everything about the person, voice, facial expressions, and body language.
As for the show, it's either going to need great writing, or Frank's standup style commentary. It has neither. Plus, trying to fit so much into a show, he did a lot of impressions that I just don't think he was very good at. For instance, Kramer was great, but I don't think the other Seinfeld characters were very good at all. I'd like to see more Richard Dreyfuss.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I agree on the Seinfeld skit. Kramer was great, Jerry was good, Elaine and George were terrible. And what good is an impression when the jokes are not funny.

Oh gosh, the George Bush face is priceless. I laugh just thinking about it.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Maybe the writer's strike is affecting him as well.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I don't know how it is affecting Frank, but I know the writer's strike is killing me.

No new shows? Night after night of Duel and Deal or No Deal. I'm going to be in bed at 8 p.m. every night if this strike doesn't end soon!

At least we haven't even seen the first episode of Lost yet this year. That gives me something to look forward to.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home