Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I ain't afraid of no ghosts

I spent last Halloween sandwiched on the couch with my two best friends Sass and Kate. I'd planned a spooky celebration complete with candy, food and scary movies. The deal was each of us had to pick a scary flick the others hadn't seen before. When I heard neither of the girls had seen "The Exorcist," I knew it was going to be my movie of choice. But I had no idea my friends were such scaredy cats -- they were freaked out just by the music in the opening credits. By the movie's end, Kate's fingernails were permanently dug into my arm.

So there we sat. The three of us smashed together on a love seat. Kate insisted on sitting in the middle for safety purposes. You know, in case Linda Blair suddenly walked in the back door. Sass kept looking behind her to make sure nothing was there. All in all it was the perfect way to spend Halloween.

Moviefone released their picks for the 31 best horror movies:

31. The Ring
30. Hellraiser
29. Nosferatu
28. The Descent
27. The Omen
26. The Fly (Cronenberg)
25. Wicker Man (the original)
24. Carnival of Souls
23. The Eye
22. Scream
21. Friday the 13th
20. Dracula (1931)
19. Evil Dead 2
18. Carrie
17. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
16. Night of the Living Dead (original)
15. The Blair Witch Project
14. Bride of Frankenstein
13. A Nightmare on Elm Street
12. Rosemary's Baby
11. Frailty
10. 28 Days Later
9. The Haunting (1963)
8. Dawn of the Dead (original)
7. The Thing
6. The Sixth Sense
5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
4. The Shining
3. Psycho (original)
2. The Exorcist
1. Halloween (original)

I wasn't so pleased with "Halloween" getting the No. 1 spot, but the three runner ups are definite favorites.

So what movie keeps you from sleeping at night?

15 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

the original Halloween is fantastic. Jamie Lee Curtis is awesome, and Michael Myers is scary as hell.
I just saw 30 Days of Night last night and it'll change the way you think about vampires.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I guess now that there's about 15 sequels to Halloween, I don't find the original so fantastic. But maybe I'll give Jamie Lee another shot?

Change the way you think about vampires? How so?

11:59 AM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Well, I've always been greatly fascinated by vampires. Now, I'm scared to death of them.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Sammy, I hope you are sitting down for this news, but vampires aren't real.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Quote from the movie 30 Days of Night: "Vampires aren't real."

4:50 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Did that make you think they were real?

4:53 PM  
Blogger Bury Me on the 50 said...

Jaws and Babes in Toyland. The part with the mean talking / singing / chanting trees makes me hide behind the couch.

What's yours?

9:19 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

As the great Mitch Hedberg said:

"I went to see the doctor and he just bit me on the neck. Do not go see Doctor Acula."

11:07 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

No, I'm just saying that right after they said that, they got eaten by vampires, so you better watch out.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Mr. Gunz, I've seen Jaws hundreds of times and I still have to cover my eyes during certain parts of the movie.

Carrie terrifies me. When I was a kid, I watched the movie with my mom and brother. When the hand came flying up out of the grave, I lost it! I screamed so loud our neighbor came over to make sure everything was OK. I'm not even making that up! I haven't been able to watch it again since.

Patrick, Doctor Acula, classic.

Sammy, it was nice knowing you. Please explain the bite marks on my neck to my family.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Sorry, I don't wanna have to tell your family your boyfriend got a little too kinky.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Oh honestly!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

i was not THAT scared.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Shane Bevel said...

The Shining is much better than #4. It's the only movie that really scares me..... those damn little girls.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

"Red Rum" "Red Rum"

Tell me about it. The first time I saw this I nearly lost it ... and I think it was the TBS version!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home