Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

My first go at video storytelling

In the past year, The Times has proven we're no longer your grandmother's newspaper. Our industry is becoming more Web driven and in doing so we've added photo galleries, constant online updates and video presentations.

When I signed on to be a journalist I thought that meant I was going to be a writer. I never pictured myself picking up a video camera and editing footage for a newspaper. While writing is my first love, this week I've started dabbling in a new form of storytelling.

The Revel has been an ideal place to learn the how tos of making a good video. The past two days, fellow reporter and experienced videographer Alexandyr Kent has taken me under his wing to teach me how it's done.

The first day, we did a video on some of the best dishes offered at the Revel. I stopped by seven booths for lunch and feasted on muffaletta pizza, a gyro, a deep-fried jambalaya wrap, blackened catfish, a turkey leg, bread pudding and a smoothie. I wasn't feeling so hot when all was said and done, but the video turned out to be pretty entertaining.

Alex and I returned to the Revel last night to tape the Port City Big Band's performance. The crowd couldn't sit still for long. Pretty soon people started to spring from the seats to show off their dance moves for the crowd.

All in all it was a fun experience, and you guys can expect more to come.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

7 BOOTHS!?! I sure hope you only ate a small amount at each.

My favorite Revel memory is waiting for the shuttle and dancing with a drunk old woman to Con Funk Shun.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I couldn't finish all the food, that's for sure. But I ate a good bit of everything and was a little ill when I returned to the paper.

Ha, love the favorite Revel memory. When was that, last year?

2:12 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

I think it was two years ago when Kenny Wayne Shepherd played.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

People do tend to get crazy when Kenny Wayne Shepherd plays here. When he opened his last tour at The Strand, some drunk guy threw a bottle at him.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home