Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Monday, November 05, 2007

Are you funnier than a fifth grader?

Kids are funny without even meaning to be. How many adults do you know can do that?

Friday afternoon I went to University Elementary School to speak to Mrs. Roberts fifth grade class. The students have been learning about newspapers so I visited the class to talk a little bit about what I do every day at The Times. I showed them different parts of the paper. We talked about the difference in breaking news, editorials, columns and more.

Mrs. Roberts had a surprise in store for me. A few weeks ago, I'd used the word "swanky" in a restaurant review on Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro. The word is one of Mrs. Roberts' favorites and so she decided to make it one of the vocabulary words for the week. The students each wrote their definition of "swanky" and used it in a sentence. Here are some of my favorites.

  • Someone who thinks they are funky. "A group of kids were acting swanky and weird." -- Kali Knighton
  • "My mom is swanky." -- Jon Falardeaux
  • "I ate a swanky for lunch." -- Breante' Love
  • "He is really swanky when he dances." -- Hunter Bryant
  • A baseball person that swings. -- Christine Mays
  • When you're happy or messy. "He is a very swanky person." -- Annie Brittain
  • Means horrible. "You are a swanky baseball player." -- Bryce Tolliver
  • Means crazy. "That swanky person almost got his hand cut off from a lawnmower." -- Stephen Rizzo
  • I think swanky is a type of something like a smell ... a very different, unusual smell. -- Katie Payzant
  • Music, jazz, hip, exciting and jumpy music. "That is some swanky music." -- Danielle A. Arnold

4 Comments:

Blogger Bury Me on the 50 said...

For me, last weekend was swanky...

1:17 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

stylish and expensive? I don't know if you could call the toga party that exactly.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Kids are only funny because they say really stupid things, but it's ok because they're kids. If an adult said the same thing, we would just look at them like they're an idiot. Also, I had a swanky for lunch is my favorite.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

i would call it swanky.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home