Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A holiday treat for all


It's 8 feet long, 8 feet wide and 13 feet tall and the best part -- it's edible! Harrah's Louisiana Downs created this sweet treat under the guidance of executive chef Ryan Gillespie. The team poured more than 100 hours into the project.

It took more than 600 pounds of gingerbread to create the house. Marshmallow snowmen, gumdrops, peppermint candies, Reese's Pieces, Hershey's Chocolate Bars and candy canes are cemented together with about 400 pounds of icing. It's enough to make my tummy ache.
This past weekend, I told my friend Kate we were going to top off our Sunday with a festive activity. Ornament making? Nope. Tree decorating? Done that already. Baking cookies? Getting warmer.
I picked up two gingerbread house kits from World Market. I was expecting excitement, but instead I got, "Oh dear." The kit includes everything you need to make a cute little gingerbread house. The walls are pre-baked and the concrete icing powder mixes into the perfect sugary cement with just six tablespoons of water.

However, I didn't anticipate Kate's inability to abide by the rules and the well mapped out directions. During the early construction stages, I was in deep concentration (even though I mistook my roof for my walls at first) and didn't pay much attention to Kate's craftsmanship. When I looked up, her house looked like a gingerbread house Frank Lloyd Wright would build. It was chaos!
On the other hand, I, the ultimate perfectionist, secured gumdrops in perfect rows along my roof. I lined windows and doorways with tiny candy pieces and tossed rainbow sprinkles across my roof line. I shook my head and Kate's creativity continued. When all gumdrops were in place, Kate looked at me and asked, "Are you mad at me?"

Sure, she hadn't taken our holiday project seriously. But she had fun making her house ... or tepee ... OK, I'm not exactly sure what to call it. Neither of our projects were flawless by any means. Within 30 minutes of completing my house, half of my roof had slid off the top.
It was a fun project, but likely not one Kate and I will repeat. I'll post pictures of our gingerbread houses soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sammy said...

Did you eat them afterwards?

10:18 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

My plate was too small. And thanks for the FLW comparison. I did work for architects once, you know.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

No we didn't eat them. I didn't feel so hot after we got done making them because I ate a lot of candy along the way.

Kate, I'm glad you are taking the comparison as a compliment.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Sue is trying to make me be positive since Nana is so negative. She says that negativity is genetic. Oh Sue!

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home