Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Reading and rock 'n' roll

Finishing a book has got to be one of my favorite feelings. You turn that final page, close the back flap, and for that one split second there is this feeling of completion. This summer, I started my second Chuck Klosterman read, "Killing Yourself to Live." I've always loved Klosterman's odd observations. Only a music writer could compare all of his past relationships to the members of KISS. It's so off the wall that I find his words hard to resist.

Chuck was my summer companion. For one week, I lounged on the beach with this book and read about 3/4 of Chuck's tale in between family fishing trips, jet skiing excursions and putt putt. But until a week or so ago, I'd left the other 1/4 hanging. I finished the book last night.
In "Killing Yourself to Live," Klosterman spends a little over two weeks in a rental car, driving across the country to visit the spots where famous rock stars have died. The concept of the book is that the tragic deaths of these musicians elevated their fame. Klosterman's journey fittingly ends in Seattle -- the location of Kurt Cobain's suicide. The book also reminded me of my visit to the grave of Blind Melon frontman Shannon Hoon.

I was in Lafayette, Ind., on loan to another newspaper for two weeks, when a fellow loaner told me that Hoon's grave was only 15 minutes from where we were staying. We hopped in the car, drove to the cemetery and walked around checking headstones in search of Shannon Hoon.
We'd walked through the upper part of the cemetery before making it to the far back corner, where we found Hoon's grave. Trinkets, notes, flowers, cigarettes, rocks and more were scattered on and around his grave. I'll never forget it.
In the far back corner of a dirt-road cemetery in rural Indiana, I was looking at the grave of one of the most legendary voices of the '90s. He was someone with so much promise and such a unique voice. It didn't feel like he belonged where he now and forever would be.

The headstone reads lyrics from Blind Melon's song "Change": I know we can't all stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today and they'll paint it."
This is why I've listened to almost nothing other than Blind Melon for the past week.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Ah, what a memorable trip! I saw Jim Morrison's grave once. It was all roped off though and you couldn't really get to it.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

It was a great trip. I sort of love going out of town by myself. Of course I missed my friends, but this was a great experience.

I'm jealous of your Jim Morrison grave visit. It shouldn't have been roped off.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Blind Melon came to Little Rock recently and I just couldn't go without Shannon being there.

I saw that book in the bargain bin at B&N yesterday and it reminded me I haven't read it yet. I'll get to that this year. I finished a book yesterday and it was nice. My second book of January, well ahead of my two books a month quota.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Yeah, I heard they were touring again but what's the point? No one is going to sound like Shannon Hoon.

Bargain bin ... that hurts me a little bit since it's such a good book. What book did you finish yesterday? Did I tell you I watched "American Psycho?" I'm certain now that I could not read the book.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

It was roped off b/c psychotic fans defile it and spray paint all over it and surrounding monuments. Stay classy France!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I think if you defile the monument of an artist like Jim Morrison you can hardly call yourself a fan.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

I just finished Left Hand of Darkness, a science fiction book about a planet in an Ice Age. Before that I read Dishwasher, a book about a guy who tried to wash dishes in all 50 states. If you like non-fiction stuff like Klosterman, you should definitely check out Dishwasher. It was funny.

And the American Psycho movie doesn't touch the book. There's one scene involving a rat running through a tube stuck into a female orifice.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

I don't like to wash dishes in one state, why would anyone want to wash dishes in 50? It seems like a worthless goal, but funny.

Yes, the scene you just described clearly illustrates the reason I don't think I should read this book.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home