Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Sprinkle my ashes in Augusta


My legs, back and feet are no longer sore. My face is still a little pink from a day full of sun. But my heart has yet to recover.

Just two days ago, I walked Augusta National Golf Club. I stood 15 feet from the pin on 18 green and watched the greatest golfers finish the most beautiful and challenging course in the world.
My view was just as good as the one pictured above. At that moment, I didn't realize the magnitude of where I was and what I was witnessing. I just knew I was having fun, watching some amazing golf and snacking on a $1 turkey sandwich.
After Johnson's finish, we anticipated what Tiger Woods would do. With a few more holes to play, could Tiger possibly pull out his fifth Masters victory? As we waited on 18, few roars echoed from the course. Woods moved closer and closer to 18 and his score continued to post on the leader board at three over par. Hopes of seeing a phenomenal takeover by Woods seemed less and less likely.
I don't usually pull for Woods. I like to see the unexpected victor pull through. But considering the odds of returning to Augusta are not likely, I was hoping to see Woods comeback for a dramatic finish.

However, greater than all the players could be the course itself. It is more beautiful than you can imagine or your television screen can display. My favorite holes were 6 and 16. Also know as Juniper and Redbud. They are both short par 3s lined by azaleas.

Today, the magnitude of my experience is sinking in. Perhaps the hardest thing to accept is this was likely the first and last time I'll witness Sunday at the Masters from the fringe of 18 green.

(ABOVE: Zach Johnson waves after finishing the 18th hole during the final round of the 2007 Masters golf tournament at the Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Ga., on Sunday. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip))

10 Comments:

Blogger Graef said...

Neth...how was the August-uh?

5:48 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Why the last? I mean, just go back..it's pretty simple actually.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Tickets are just expensive and hard to come by. But I suppose, where there's a will, there's a way.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The paper should had you provide on-the-scene coverage. Did they send someone from Sports to cover it?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Thomas,

The sports guys were going to send one of their own to cover the tournament. However there was confusion with his hotel and his room ended up being cancelled last minute. Plus, I was in great need of a little vacation time!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Magnet?

10:37 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Kate, I have bad news. I didn't see any fridge magnets and because I don't picture you as a visor kind of gal, I came back empty handed. I know, I know. All I can do is ask your forgiveness.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Well fine... see if I bring you a sombrero on my next va-cay. J/K I will look for something super classy though, like a hand carved parrot or one of those extremely not soft and uncomfortable mexican throw blankets... mmm.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Papa said...

Not trying to stir anything up.....but I went to the Monday practice round and splurged in the gift shop. I have frige magnets now on my fridge door (and a shirt in my closet, and ball markers in my bag, and a golf towel hanging on my bag and a poster ready for framing). Just saying.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Don't fix,

Oh I went to the gift shop and spent a large portion of my pay check there ... but i didn't see the fridge magnets. You shouldn't have let Kate know this. Your magnet is now in danger!

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home