Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Highlights of the week include guitars, swimwear and leotards

Hey there blog friends, I know you've been dying to hear from me. After all, it's been three working days since our last visit. So here's a quick summary of what's been going on in the world of entertainment news.

James Burton International Guitar Festival: What can be said about James Burton? In addition to being one of the best guitar players around, he's generous and equally funny. On Friday, I spent a little over an hour with Burton and his wife of 43 years, Louise. The pair was hilarious. Burton teased his wife about her forgetfulness and when he interrupted her she'd silence him by saying, "Let me finish."

While working on the story, I also interviewed Summerfield Elementary principal Lane Hunnicutt. During the interview, I nearly called him Coach Hunnicutt several times and finally asked, "Have you ever coached golf?" The answer was yes and, in fact, he had been Coach Hunnicutt to me during my years on the Turner Middle School golf team. I didn't tell him my handicap for fear of disappointing him. If he knew, he'd demote me to the alternate team.

The guitar festival is at 7 p.m. Saturday night at Municipal Auditorium and will feature some excellent guitar players and musicians. The performers are all friends of Burton's who donated their time and abilities to help raise funds to purchase guitars for the Little Kids Rock guitar program. This year, 1,200 guitars have been ordered. Ticket sales for the concert are the primary fundraiser for the program, so buy a ticket and support the development of young musicians in our area.

Swimsuit fashion shoot: In Times history, we've done some large fashion stories and this month we'll revive that with swimsuits. Times photo editor Mike Silva spent yesterday on Cross Lake photographing numerous models in this year's hottest swimwear trends. The story is set to run in the Living section in April and a large photo gallery and video from the shoot will post online. Silva suggested I model for the shoot, after all, it would be a great blog topic! My response was, "If you can find a turtleneck swimsuit with matching pants I'll do it." The swimsuit was never uncovered. Instead, you can look forward to checking out the hottest swimsuits from JC Penny, Dillards, Target, Couleur and T-Shemise.

"DELIRIUM": On Tuesday, my friend Kate and I went to see Cirque du Soleil's touring show "DELIRIUM." The show was amazing, although we nearly missed it because of slow service at Imperial Cathey. How long could it take to make Lo Mein? Tuesday night, the running time was more than an hour. But, once we arrived, the show was incredible, the stunts were amazing and the music was mesmerizing.

I'm curious as to how these artists learn to dangle, twist and contort their bodies while hanging from a long band of fabric. I'm compelled to find out exactly how you establish a career in hula hooping and garner a standing ovation for your performance. It may pay better than journalism, and in my day I could hula hoop with the best of them. I'm considering the career change.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I have a few comments. Lane Hunnicutt paddled me in the sixth grade for slapping a girl in the face. Regarding Cirque: I'd like to get Drummer #4's phone number if you can arrange that. And lastly... I know someone who teaches a belly dancing class (I think her name is Barb or something) who could possibly be your hula hoop coach. Just throwing that out there.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Kate, it's good to know you've learned to play nicely with others since the sixth grade. Coach Hunnicutt may have been the one to turn your life around.

Drummer No. 4, he was the tall one, right? Of course he was or else you wouldn't be inquiring.

I think it will take Barb's help to get me to where I can hula hoop with one leg above my head AND a smile on my face.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I'm disappointed to learn of your decision in regard to the swimwear.

Secondly, I have never ever, ever received poor service at Imperial. Ever. Like never. They have always delivered on a unique, elegant - yet affordable - dining experience.

I have even gone so far as to suspect that their wait staff might also be ninjas. Only nicer and wearing bowties.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Thomas, I know, a turtleneck swimsuit with matching pants would be something worth marveling.

Imperial has always been good to me too. But, for the first time, they dropped the ball, disproving your ninjas theory.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For your sake, I certainly hope they are not ninjas... or, even worse, ninjas that read your blog.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

Kate never learned to play nice, and she doesn't mind shorter men.

Is your middle name modest? If you're going to get slimed for the little kids, you need to wear a bathing suit for us older fans...hahaha.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Sammy,

Yes I'm modest. I didn't wear a two piece until my senior year of high school. They weren't allowed at church camp.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home