Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Friday, January 19, 2007

Dog days

Since this summer, I have been sharing my life with a miniature Schnauzer named Baxter.

He's a great lap dog. He's good with people. And if I want him to chill out all I have to do is give him a rawhide bone. Of course, as all relationships do, we've had our ups and downs. I'd be more specific, but it's pretty gross so I'm choosing to spare you the icky details!

Bottom line, I have a dog and I love him. However, this morning I was served a heaping dose of guilt by my Schnauzer desk calendar. Each day the calendar offers thoughtful words on dogs and pet ownership, but today's though read, "Being left behind is the saddest feeling a dog can have." Seriously, the last thing I need is criticism from a desk calendar!
This quote flashed me back to this morning when I left the house. I scooped up Bax to put him in his kennel, he started shaking. Shaking! Talk about feeling bad. I left the house feeling like the worst dog owner ever. But what can I do? I've got to work. Even he should understand someone has to put the Eukanuba in the bowl.

There's a lot going on this weekend, but my guilt is telling me to make some lap time for my dog. I think my conscious may need it more than him.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Chun, Give Paw said...

What a cutie!

Don't feel guilty about leaving your dog behind. Every dog has to learn to cope with separation. A few tips to help your doggy deal (and in turn help you cope) is to not make a big fuss about leaving or coming home -- that means not giving your dog attention before you enter or exit. Your dog will learn that you coming and going is no big deal. You can teach him that his kennel is a fun place to be by giving him toys to play with and even a kong with treats inside. If he spends half the morning trying to dig yummy kibble out of a rubber chew toy, chances are he's not missing you that much. Don't let some silly calendar make you feel bad. Anyone who must spend a lot of time out of the house might consider a dog walker or doggy daycare. A bit expensive, but it gives your dog exercise and of course alleviates a lot of your guilt. Not sure if you've heard any of this advice before, but thought I'd share some things that have helped my clients.

Good luck! Doggy parenting is a wonderfully rewarding experience.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

this is probably the most ridiculous thing i've ever read.

3:04 PM  
Blogger The Times said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Sammy, you can't judge me until you have a dog of your own to leave each day!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Tim Hill said...

I agree with Stephanie!! I have a Cocker Spaniel named Kali and he makes me feel so guilty when I leave. I love that little guy!!!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home