Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Monday, December 11, 2006

Christmas in the Sky flies high

Writing a story wearing a cocktail dress and high heels is no easy task, especially on deadline.
Saturday was my first, but probably not my last time to write on the spot. But if any celebration merits such immediate attention, it's Christmas in the Sky.
Raised in Shreveport, I've heard about the gala for years. And even though I wrote the story on the event, it's hard to actually put everything into words. It's extravagant. Amazing decorations, costumes, luxurious auction items make the event worth every dime of the $200 tickets.
As a reporter, I felt somewhat out of place. Everyone was having a blast, even the costumed characters working the event. I had a little over an hour to observe, take notes, interview people and head to the press box to write a story for the next morning's paper. Unfortunately, it was all work and no play for me.
While the party continued downstairs, I headed to the fourth floor press box. As partygoers sipped on lovely cocktails and yummy food, I filled up a Styrofoam cup with Pepsi and sat down in front of my computer to write the story.
It's not very glamorous, but unlike most people downstairs I had a minute to rest my feet.

(Vocal Trash performs at Christmas in the Sky. Photo by Times photographer Greg Pearson)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beg for the assignment in two years. Write most of the story before you go by dropping by the workshop and seeing what they are creating for the theme of 2008 and then party on...Because really is Christmas in the Sky about words? Noooooo...it's about the pictures... of course, just my opinion.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home