Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

If Has Beens ruled the world

After the painful experience of attending a Vanilla Ice show this past weekend, I've felt the urge to burn all my '90s music memorabilia. Of course, with the exception of New Kids on the Block.
I won't explain my views on the Ice show. You'll have to wait for Friday's Preview to get my honest opinion on the event. But on Monday '90s music was the chatter of the newsroom.

Alexandyr Kent, our online entertainment guy and movie buff, kept quoting the Vanilla Ice interview where he explained how the beat to "Ice, Ice Baby" is different than "Under Pressure."

"You hear that? There's an extra beat at the end. See, it's different."

Of course, when Vanilla Ice is mentioned everyone in our area of the newsroom joined in on the conversation. Talk about other '90s artists like MC Hammer and Milli Vanilli eventually led to this question: If there was a Has Beens Tour, who would be invited to participate?

Other than Vanilla Ice, our show includes Right Said Fred ("I'm Too Sexy") and Gerardo ("Rico Suave"). One of our reporters, whose identity I'll keep confidential due to the nature of their comments, wouldn't let MC Hammer be included in the hypothetical tour because this person actually is still a fan.

Now it's your turn. Who would be on your Has Beens Tour?

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Lilies of the Field.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Ha, ha, ha Kate. By saying the Lilies of the Field could be on a Has Beens Tour would mean at once we were once "there." Maybe within the walls of the Tech BCM, but that's supposed to be a secret!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Janelle Rucker said...

Tevin Campbell!!! That's who'd be in my tour. Ya'll remember 'I'm Ready' and 'Round and Round.' Man, those were the days.
Wonder what he's up to now....

3:33 PM  
Blogger Joel Anderson said...

Do you know who's a has-been? Stephanie Netherton.

If you insist on trying to include Hammer on this crazy tour, why don't you all take a look at this: http://mchammer.blogspot.com/

I dare you all to call Hammer a "has-been" after reading that.

By the way, who do think helped Emmitt to the crown on "Dancing With The Stars"? Hmmm...

1:39 PM  
Blogger The Times said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Once again, Joel, I'm the first to say I can't be considered a has been since I never was to begin with.
I'm sorry that you love McHammer so much. But you're only incriminating yourself further by discussing "Dancing With the Stars."

1:48 PM  
Blogger Joel Anderson said...

I hope that lower-case "c" in your last blog was a typo and not an underhanded effort to call him McHammer instead of MC Hammer.

And I don't love Hammer, Stephanie. But, like every other kid with a high flat-top fade who came of age in the late 80s and early 90s, I was doing "The Hammer" at dances, telling people "You Can't Touch This" and was most definitely (and, for that matter, still am) "Too Legit To Quit."

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home