Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

'U218 Singles' stirs up trouble for loyal fan

When a U2 album is released I have to get it that day. The anticipation is too much for me to wait. On release day, I wake up contemplating when I'll be able to pick up a CD and I schedule my day around this event.

Today was no different. Even though "U218 Singles" is a compilation of the band's biggest songs throughout the years, I had to have it immediately. I thought I was getting a deal -- BestBuy had the disc on sale for $9.99. However, it ended up costing me later.

As I was driving back to work on Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway, singing along, "How long, how long must we sing this song? ... Sunday Bloody Sunday," I'm nearly run off the road by a policeman eager to get to a crime scene. I pull over on the shoulder for him to pass, but as the red and blue lights pull up and park behind me I realized I was the criminal.

Hypnotized by the music I love and in complete (and unintentional) disregard to law and order, I was caught going 60 mph in a 45 mph zone. Now, I'm sure my $9.99 CD will cost approximately $150.

My complaints are directed toward the speeding incident, not the CD itself. But if you are fan, like me, maybe it's safer to just buy the CD online. Plus, Rhapsody.com is donating the proceeds for every download of the live version of "The Saints Are Coming," to Music Rising, a charity that benefits Hurricane Katrina victims. The song was performed and recorded live during the reopening of the New Orleans Superdome.

Considering the speeding ticket nearly wrecked my beautiful day, I think the next release I'll have a friend drive.

7 Comments:

Blogger Adam Kealoha Causey said...

Ouch! Just be glad your alleged crime wasn't big enough to land you in police briefs!

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are a U2 fan. I saw your blog listed in the Times this morning and thought I would check it out. Enjoyed your story of being stopped.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

John, thanks for checking out the blog. I'm a HUGE U2 fan. Seeing them perform live is at the top of my things-to-do-before-I-die list.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Let's go...

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't that cop know that it's impossible to listen to Sunday Bloody Sunday and not speed? I had a similar experience not more than a month ago on I-49, only I was listening to "Piano Man" (not a justifiable excuse).

I'm sorry to tell you that your approximation of $150 may be a gross underestimation of the long-term cost of your cd. Once you factor in insurance hikes there's no telling where you'll be.

As a fellow Seinfeldian - is that what we call ourselves? - i feel it my duty to offer some assistance. Getting it bumped down to a non-moving violation will prevent your insurance carrier from ever finding out about your little habit of getting lost in music while behind the wheel.

If you'd like me to help, just give the ticket (or a copy) to Vernellis and tell him to give it to his girlfriends brother.

Take Care

"Well, occasionally I like to help the humans." - Kramer

2:58 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Dear Kramer,

I'm glad to have someone who can relate to my recent experience. It's a shame. I should have turned on the music to explain exactly why I was speeding. Surely he would have understood. However, I saw the sheer excitement on his face when he wrote the ticket so I doubt even this would have worked.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont know about Sunday Bloody Sunday ever causing me to speed. So I give to you my top 5 U2 speeding songs...in no particular order

1. Acrobat

2. Until The End of The World

3. MOFO

4. Bullet the Blue Sky ( Live Zoo Tv Version)

MUSE is also excellent speeding music......

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home