Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

In my humble opinion

Writing restaurant reviews is fun until you have to write a negative one.

Recently, I had to do just that. After two visits to Swamp Island Roadhouse and two poor experiences, I felt I had no choice but to be up front about the restaurant. I struggled to write the review. Ask Diane Haag, who sits across from me, my angst was obvious.

I mentioned the positives about my dining experience and then wrote on about the "dull and uneventful" flavors. Of course, after the review printed in Friday's Preview, those who disagreed let me know. One writer blamed me not only for the demise of this restaurant but also for the struggles of the Southern Hills area in general.

Knowing the review was a tough deal for me, Diane sent this New York Times story to me. One quote in the piece comes from New York magazine restaurant reviewer Adam Platt. He said, “It’s the most subjective, in my view, of the critical disciplines. Book reviewers read the same books. Movie critics see the same movies. Restaurant critics work in an environment that will change not only from day to day but from hour to hour. All you can do is give your opinion. Over time, it becomes an informed opinion.”

I know not everyone will agree with my tastebuds' take on Swamp Island. But I'd like to know, if you've eaten there, what did you think?

5 Comments:

Blogger I'm the Dude said...

Your job if I understand it correctly is to go out eat at these places and then write about it. It's how you and your guests see it(or more aptly taste it) If every review was great, no one would put any stock in what you are writing. I've never eaten there, so I don't have any experience with them, but you gave them two chances and they didn't come up with the goods. It's not like you said they had rats crawling out of the oven, you just gave your opinion. . .that's your job. . .and that's my humble opinion.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Dude, I appreciate your humble opinion. I never claimed to be a food expert. But after eating for nearly 26 years, I can separate the good from the bad. Thanks for the support.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know that I strongly disagree with your opinion. I have eaten at Swamp Island Roadhouse on more than a few occasions. I initially found the menu very basic but it has been to be expanding every time I return. The specialties, especially the crabcake with crayfish etouffe sause and bar-b-que shrimp are excellent. The "Hammerhead" shrimp, the latest addition are fantastic. I found the service and atmosphere very comfortable. All in all one of my favorites in Shreveport.
The owner, the former owner and namesake of the Shreveport institution "Herby K's stopped by our table one evening and explained his management philosophy in terms of starting with the basics and growing depending on customer tastes.
I think he's got a winner here and look forward to enjoyng visiting again and again.

9:40 PM  
Blogger patefacio said...

"r" is obviously affiliated with that place in some fasion...such detailed comments sound like an infomercial.

I've been there and agree with the original humble opinion.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Netherton said...

Patefacio,

Some people will agree with me and some will not. But, no matter what the review said, you gave it a shot and developed your own opinion.

I'm a big supporter of local restaurants. I'd choose to eat somewhere local over a chain restaurant any day and I'm always rooting for them to succeed. But for that to happen the food has got to be good, probably better, than what the chains are offering.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home